Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  February 27, 2013 10:00pm-11:00pm PST

10:00 pm
i'm like, what is this, a drainpipe slipknot? wherever your business takes you, nobody keeps you on the road like progressive commercial auto. [ flo speaking japanese ] [ shouting in japanese ] we work wherever you work. now, that's progressive. call or click today. science and evidence based drug and alcohol treatment center. where your addiction stops and your new life begins. call now.
10:01 pm
10:02 pm
te . welcome to an "ac360" special report, killer testimony, the jodi arias trial. nancy grace joins me. >> anderson, killer testimony, well, that is certainly one way to put it. anderson, jodi arias doesn't deny killing her longtime lover, travis alexander, at least she doesn't anymore. at first, she denied being even on the scene, she talked a lot. anderson, she blamed the murder on two -- something like ninjas. but now, she says she killed travis alexander all right, but it was in self defense. and even though she is fighting for her life on the stand she has been smirking her way through nearly two weeks of direct examination and cross examination. >> nancy have you ever seen testimony that has gone on for 12 days from a witness accused of murder? >> no, i haven't, because usually, most defense attorneys
10:03 pm
follow conventional wisdom and they don't put the client on the stand. the thinking is, it is better for the jury to suspect you're guilty and remain silent then speak and confirm their suspicions. >> yeah, this is a death penalty case, and i guess they're trying to appeal to any juror, who -- they don't think they're going to get her off of it, but maybe they can avoid the death penalty. >> did you say appeal to the jurors? i don't know if detailing her oral and anal sex in the parking lot is really appealing to anybody. >> well, now that you put it that way, i suppose your right. day 12, the prosecution is working its way up to the day that jodi killed travis alexander. on the day of the text messages, the raunchy text messages, very graph graphic stuff, including the
10:04 pm
phone sex. >> it was so hot. >> you were talking in very fond tones about that experience in this clip that we just played, weren't you? >> yes. >> and it was because it was fun right? >> yes. >> and it was something you enjoyed? >> yes. >> that enjoyment she talked about strongly contradicts her own testimony that travis alexander physically and sexually abused her and made her feel like a prostitute. >> i really would like to marry a return missionary, but something like you who can be freaky, i worry that i will feel like a wilting flower. i feel like i have blossomed with you, but like i still have plenty of blossom time left. >> now, the prosecution has come under strong criticism. nan nancy, you're a former prosecutor, i wonder what you
10:05 pm
think of the prosecution's waging the case. their process so far. >> well, anderson, many people claim the prosecution is too harsh on arias, but let me remind everybody of the consequences of holding back. you have one swing at the ball, anderson. you have one chance to get up to home plate and swing and hit a home run. and if he doesn't use everything he has got right now he is not going to get a second chance. and back to, as you describe, raunchy, i think it is triple x rated. the whole thing is not to talk about their sex life or whether it is deviant or not, the whole point is from the testimony, from the get-go, she claimed he sexually abused her, beat her, demeaned her, and so on and so on. but now, the prosecution, anderson, on cross examination is using her own words and those nasty, as you say text messages
10:06 pm
and firing them right back at her, anderson, to show a lot of their sex activity was at her instigation, and she liked it. >> and the judge has given a lot of leeway in this testimony, probably because it is a death penalty case. dr. drew pinsky, we'll talk about the very latest from the court today. what happened, the 12th day of testimony. "ac360's" randy kay was there, randy, a lot of time in court today focusing on the car she rented when she focused on alexander. what was the prosecution trying to prove with the line of questioning? explain what happened in court today. >> well, they went at her on this rental car, and really what they're trying to get at is premeditation. they're trying to show that she planned to murder travis
10:07 pm
alexander. so they tried to show when she went to the rental agency to rent the car, they offered her a red rental car. and she said no, i don't want to rent a red car because that attracts too many police officers. they also say she filled up three gas cans in california, so that when she did go to arizona, where she said she never went that there wouldn't be any record or receipt of her buying gasoline in arizona. and finally, they also showed that the license plate on the back of her rental car had been turned upside down. and the front license plate had actually been removed. so upside down, if anybody saw her car, maybe at travis alexander's house, they wouldn't have been able to give police a record of the plate because it was upside down and unreadable. she said there were kids that played a prank on her while she was at a starbucks, and she was inside buying a drink, the prosecution doesn't buy that. >> nancy, i think i can hear
10:08 pm
your eyes rolling. what do you make of it when you hear she buys all of this gas, and to drive to arizona, i mean, that just raises all sorts of red flags. >> well, it does, and here is the whole point behind it. and not only that, the prosecution pulled up a whole lot of gasoline station receipts. in these odd amounts that would not fill your car up. that clearly she was filling up the gas cans. and so o-- i mean, think about it. this is how i would put it to the jury, have you ever in your life driven across the country, driven around with five or six gas cans full of gasoline in your trunk? i mean, think about it. think about how outlandish that is. but again, it veered back towards sex again. jean casarez, why is it so
10:09 pm
critical, the details about their sex relationship? >> because the defense is showing and wants to show that she was a victim at the hands of travis alexander, yes, there was physical violence. but their theory is that it started with her as a victim, and his power and control over her with the sex, that she was the follower and he was the dominant one. but today in court it really turned around because it showed she was the leader, and maybe he was the follower. >> and jean, it was even more than that, more dastardly than that, because she, in her defense is painting him out to be a pedophile. and we've gone over this many times, anderson, you and i have talked many times about child porn in this country. and in this case, police combed through his laptop and desk top. all the way through the attic. the whole house, he had never even visited that type of a
10:10 pm
website, much less download photographs that she said she saw. she is really dragging him through the mud. >> well, and the number of lies, it has already been proven that she told to investigators, as you said, the idea of a ninja home invasion, she was not even in arizona when the murder was committed. and she pretended she had no idea what happened to alexander. again, we all know now it is a lie. let's listen to this. >> when all this happened, i mean, i got a call last night. >> sometime between thursday and last night. we're not sure yet. >> was there a gun -- >> i can't say what type of weapon was used. do you know of him having any weapons at all in the house? >> his -- >> there were times she can't even keep her lies straight on the stand. >> absolutely, i mean, first of
10:11 pm
all, just to think about that phone call. here she is, she already knows that she killed travis alexander, here she is checking in on the case. that is mind boggling on its own. but then you have her checking on the case, asking about the weapons, pretending she doesn't know. and it turns out that she did know. the state says she robbed her grandparent's house, stole a gun from them. and that is part of the way she killed him in addition to the 29 stab wounds, of course, slitting his throat. she says she found this gun in the closet, and came at him. a lot of different stories, the home invasion, first it was two men, then she changed it to a man and a woman. >> randy, you just brought up a really good point. because in her initial conversation with the police, i look a lot at body language, she was actually curled up in a chair in a fetal position as she
10:12 pm
told the cops this crazy story. and he asked her point blank, did travis alexander own a gun, and she said no, not that i know of. so her story has totally changed about that. and i think one of the reasons she calls the detectives, anderson, is she is trying to find out the forensic evidence associa, so she can tailor her story to the physical evidence. >> she was giving 48 hours to the media outlets, this was not somebody just lying to police, but was going out on a media campaign and lying. >> and every single interview is being shown to that jury. and she talks about i am innocent and will never be convicted by a jury. the jury is listening to that. and so much about travis, so many inconsistencies, she talks about a wonderful person that travis was. but you didn't hear anything about that in the direct
10:13 pm
examination, you hear about somebody that was not only a sexual pervert but somebody who abused her mentally and physically. her journal doesn't have anything about abuse -- >> even on those days, jean, where she says that travis slapped me or beat me, on those days she writes everything is great. i don't have anything new to add today. shawn, do you have the 48 hours sound, let's hear it? >> he left her alone for a few minute minutes, maybe. and she was in the bathroom, standing over travis. and i charged her, i ran down the hall and i pushed her as hard as i could. and she fell over him, landed near the sink. there were two sinks in the master bath. and she landed near the left sink kind of near the trash can. close to the windows. and i started to pull on him, and i said come on, come on,
10:14 pm
come on, let's go, let's go. and he was sluggish and lethargic. he was there and conscious, he was sort of not crawling but was kind of moving and trying to stand up. i was able to get him half way down the hall when she came back and we struggled. >> you know on that version she deserves the medal of honor for trying to save his life. what about that? >> and nancy, this is a person who 27 stab wounds on her ex-boyfriend. none of which she says she can remember doing at all. she says she remembers various sounds and things. >> ear to ear, oh, oh, you're going to love this, anderson. at the very end of the day, i'm going to let jean tell you, jean were you in there when the prosecution tripped her up on that? one of the very last questions, remember, she told the jury she has no recollection of what
10:15 pm
happened. it is all a big blur, but then at the very end, jean, you tell it. >> well, here is what happened. the question was, when did you shower after sex, well, she didn't quite remember, but she remembered it was the shower. and the question was, was it the same shower that you dragged travis into it? yes, she said she admitted it. and that was counter to her saying she blacked out and doesn't remember a thing. >> damning testimony right there. and a lot more the talk about. jean, randy, we'll be back in a moment. nancy, we'll be back. let us know what you think about this. we'll be joined by mark tubin, and we'll talk more about the legal strategy and defense strategy, what are they trying to accomplish? get her off or save her life so she doesn't get the death penalty? we'll look down the apparent
10:16 pm
decision to deglamourize her appearance. she looks very different on the witness stand. that is not an accident, jeff tubin calls it a make-under, not a make-over, that and more testimony when we continue. >> that is the person that likes this sort of activity, and looking like a horny little school girl, right? >> yes. [ male announcer ] we began with the rx. ♪ then we turned the page, creating the rx hybrid.
10:17 pm
♪ now we've turned the page again with the rx f sport. ♪ this is the next chapter for the rx and the next chapter for lexus. this is the pursuit of perfection.
10:18 pm
email marketing from constant contact reaches people in a place they're checking every day -- their inbox. and it gives you the tools to create custom emails that drive business. it's just one of the ways constant contact can help you grow your small business. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try. morning, boys. so, i'm working on a cistern intake valve, and the guy hands me a locknut wrench. no way! i'm like, what is this, a drainpipe slipknot?
10:19 pm
wherever your business takes you, nobody keeps you on the road like progressive commercial auto. [ flo speaking japanese ] [ shouting in japanese ] we work wherever you work. now, that's progressive. call or click today. so how is it that if it just happened you can't even remember what you just said. ? >> i think i'm more focused on your posture and your tone and anger so it is hard to process the question. >> you're watching the "ac360" special report, the killer, jodi arias trial. you just heard the verbal fireworks between jodi arias during the marathon questioning. our senior analyst, jeffrey
10:20 pm
toobin, and how the criminal justice system works and sometimes doesn't. and nancy, you're talking about the prosecution and mark, you have been particularly critical of the prosecution. you say he sort of dialled it back today. but what do you think the prosecution has been doing wrong? >> look if this prosecution just could have gone in, in three to four hours and taken the gas can evidence, the reported gun being stolen evidence, and key points, got in and got out and decimated her. instead he allowed her to kind of get her sea legs, if you will. he was much better today. had dialled it back today. i don't know if he was watching you last night -- >> but what is the problem with that? you say he is building sympathy for her? look, you can talk about it, i hate to get in the way.
10:21 pm
apparently i am the only guy with my finger in the prosecutorial gang bang that we're in here, you have to find something mitigating, something human in this woman. yes, you could paint her to be the most inhuman person on the planet. but if she is up there, he is acting out as the prosecutor, i don't disagree, i don't say to hold back, you don't have to be a 14 k jerk about it, you can cross examine appropriately. >> let's just hold on a moment and remind everybody that this prosecutor has already done what is near impossible. he has actually put a woman on death row. statistically, that is very, very difficult to do. so all of the pundits and all of
10:22 pm
the defense attorneys can sit back and throw stones all they want to. but this is a guy -- he is fighting. >> that is great. and i will agree with nancy that if you're trying -- >> he has a record. >> if you try cases you can make those critical assessments of somebody's trial. i'll agree with you, if somebody has not tried cases or has not tried a case in ten years, i have a problem with them second-guessing. but if you're somebody trying cases day in and day out, you have the ability to say this prosecutor was over the track. >> the prosecutor has a winning track record at death penalty cases. >> every prosecutor in america has a winning track record. the conviction rate in america is somewhere at 92 to 95%. it is like shooting fish in a barrel. let's not over-estimate the prosecutor's track record. take them out of the prosecutor's office and they're lucky to ever win a case. >> do you think he has gone too far? >> well, it is a huge problem he
10:23 pm
has. he has such a target-rich environment with this woman. she has lied so many times that you have to pick and choose. you know, prosecutors, we want to press every advantage. and you know, the core of his case is that she claims abuse, yet if you look at her diary, or look at her records, the e-mails, she seems to be enjoying this relationship a great deal. perhaps he could have made that point with 20 e-mails instead of 50 e-mails, and texts and voice mails. >> you said it yesterday o-- >> there may be a point here, he was so excited, where do you start? what do you do? at some point somebody has to counsel him, say dial it back, get in, get out, slaughter her. >> you think with the defense they're basically hoping to not have her killed. they're not going for acquittal.
10:24 pm
>> i don't think the defense is expecting a not guilty, i could be absolutely wrong, i'm not in that courtroom, maybe he does. i think he is somebody hoping, one of the things that has been speculated on. you can have a hung jury. i've had a hung jury on at least ten different occasions where they find it is between a first and a second, between a murder and a manslaughter of the where you get jurors who say no, i'm not going to convict of premeditated. and another juror says i absolutely wouldn't convict on anything less. >> this case is a good reason why death penalty cases are so much more expensive than other kinds of cases. because when you have a death penalty case like this, the judge lets the defense do pretty much anything they want. so you had nine days of direct testimony by arias, which is just absurd, there is no reason anybody needs to testify for nine days, but the judge let her do that. >> hey, guys, before we go down the slick slope of how much
10:25 pm
justice costs, i want to remind everybody of something that happened in court the other day. you know, travis alexander doesn't have any parents. his parents are both dead, he was raised largely by his grandmother. and after slaughtering travis alexander, including nine stab wounds to the back, slit ear to ear, and a gunshot, just to cap it off, 29 stab wounds, she sends his grandmother, the murderer, the killer sends his grandmother flowers. sympathy flowers. now, don't you know that grandmother -- had to listen to jodi arias go on and on and on. >> right, she has to listen to -- >> you know what, it has to do with credibility. >> no, it doesn't, nancy.
10:26 pm
>> yes, it does. >> they're not going to let somebody go on in direct for nine or ten days. it is just not going to happen, every judge i know -- >> you already said that, mark, you already said it, i heard it the first time. >> jeff said it. >> this is not necessarily an execution, nancy, an execution by the state is not necessarily everybody's idea of justice. >> hey, nancy -- >> well, it is not necessarily my idea of justice, i don't know why you're saying that. but i am telling you if i could be so bold as to speak without being interrupted, that what she did to travis alexander's grandmother is extremely important here. because it shows who she is. and what she is all about. >> exactly. and so that should be -- >> she is a liar, and people don't matter to her. >> so what does that have to do, though, with the idea of it being a death penalty? fine, go in, cross examine her on that, make her look like absolutely the diabolical person
10:27 pm
you want to paint her as, as what she richly deserves. >> nancy, i want to push back on the question, he asked her, and she said i can't focus on the question because i'm focused on your hostility. >> you know what, that is possible that somebody on the jury did feel sympathy for her. but i don't think so, she is sitting there. let me just say she definitely knows which fork to use at dinner. she is sitting there like she is at a tea party. this is a murder one death penalty case. we have just heard all about her oral sex, her anal sex, her getting tied up. the whole shebang, and now she is acting reticent, stop. >> you know, nancy makes an interesting point about how she looks, there is an astonishing physical transformation. the jury has seen photographs of
10:28 pm
her when she was with travis, and she was blonde, wearing tight clothes. now she is before the jury and looks like the stereotype of a third-grade school teacher, a librarian, with the thick glasses and the brown hair. >> as a defense attorney, you would counsel. >> absolutely, you don't want her going up there looking like she does in some of those pictures. >> you and i talked earlier, the studies have shown that female jurors are much harder on women than men are, that is absolutely true. >> and in rape cases, particularly. murder cases. women jurors are very tough on women victims, you know, they don't like consent defenses. you know, they're tough in date rape cases. >> we have to take a break, mark geragos, they're going to stay with us. something ahead, we'll talk about all of jodi arias's lies, and how she changed her story. she admitted on the stand today
10:29 pm
she even had trouble keeping the stories straight. and had trouble getting the jury to believe her. we'll get into that when we get back. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say, you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
10:30 pm
how we get there is not. we're americans. we work. we plan. ameriprise advisors can help you like they've helped millions of others. to help you retire your way, with confidence. ♪ that's what ameriprise financial does. that's what they can do with you. let's get to work. ameriprise financial. more within reach. let's get to work. how do you keep an older car running like new? you ask a ford customer. when they tell you that you need your oil changed you got to bring it in. if your tires need to be rotated, you have to get that done as well. jackie, tell me why somebody should bring they're car here to the ford dealership for service instead of any one of those other places out there. they are going to take care of my car because this is where it came from. price is right no problem, they make you feel like you're a family. get a synthetic blend oil change, tire rotation and much more, $29.95 after $10.00 rebate. if you take care of your car your car will take care of you. oh, hi thehey!ill.
10:31 pm
are you in town for another meeting? yup, i brought my a-team. siness trips add to family time. this is my family. this is joe. hi joe! hi there! earn a ton of extra points with the double your hhonors promotion and feel the hamptonality. we don't let frequent heartburn come between us and what we love. so if you're one of them people who gets heartburn and then treats day after day... block the acid with prilosec otc and don't get heartburn in the first place! [ male announcer ] one pill each morning. 24 hours. zero heartburn.
10:32 pm
10:33 pm
>> and that is another version of the events that occurred on june 4th of 2008, correct? >> yes. >> and they're not true? >> neither of them, well, all the same thing, just different versions, couldn't keep my life straight. >> that is jodi arias on trial, milita admitting even she is having trouble keeping all of her stories straight. with us tonight, senior legal analyst, jeff toobin, and mark geragos, and of course, dr. drew pinsky, hey, dr. drew, always nice to see you. i know it doesn't matter in court why, the prosecution has a case to prove, just out of curiosity, what kind of person
10:34 pm
can make up these elaborate stories, and she knows she killed him. but they go on tv and tell elaborate different versions. >> well, that person could be a psychopath, and jodi is the type of person that can sit on the stand and say jodi wouldn't do that kind of thing, that is not jodi. i told those ridiculous stories that i couldn't keep straight, and by the way, jodi is the type of person that would send the victim, the man i slaughtered, grandmother irises, in sympathy, why irises -- >> he wanted to name their daughter -- >> that is fantastic -- >> bring me a life raft here, help me out. all the guys are attacking me saying it doesn't matter. but i know when my fiance was
10:35 pm
murdered, if his murderer had sent me a vase of flowers, i don't even know what i would have done, it does matter that she did that. >> it does matter, although i hear mark groan in the background -- >> he has groaned since 1997, groan away. >> i am just telling you, nancy, you tend to take -- you were talking about my groaning. >> so no, he was -- >> i know we've heard a lot about groaning in the trial. >> there has been an excess of groaning. >> so geragos, what do you think about the rope evidence? >> the what evidence? >> the rope evidence. >> look, to my mind, everything in this case, they have gotten -- we have heard about a mountain of evidence. this is an absolute overwhelming tsunami of evidence against her. the only shot that the defense
10:36 pm
has in this case is somehow to get a couple of those jurors to -- if not identify with her, at least want to come and help her. and -- >> and to that point -- to that point, dr. drew, i always wanted to hear your perspective, because if you notice in that clip we just played, she is constantly looking over at the jury. trying to make eye contact with the jurors. that is -- >> i don't know if it is conscious, the problem is she does it like a robot, i am sure she is schooled. but mark and i were talking about something fascinating, you guys talked about getting sympathy from the jury. women are becoming more sympathetic, i think if she
10:37 pm
finds sympathy it will be with a female juror. >> and you think the sympathy comes from the idea that she may be being bullied from the prosecutor? >> part of what this is, when you ask jurors after a trial, why did you do this or that? you can drive yourself crazy in that type of analysis. they have a feeling, they go where they identify with somebody because somebody is either being bullied, they want to be with the underdog, or whatever else. you carry a theme, you hope it resonates with the jury. what was happening, i think there was some over-playing of the prosecution's hand to the point where it could have resonated with the jurors. you can say good lord in heaven. >> you all need a reality check -- you're all talking. >> the reality check is when the verdict comes back and you see what happens. >> anderson won't do it, but i will do it. you all are completely wrong
10:38 pm
calling jodi arias the underdog, let me remind you that travis alexander had a life ahead of him. he was a great young guy, trying to follow his fate, whether you all believe in it or not -- he took 29 stab wounds. >> he is the underdog, you are referring to her she is being pressed upon. >> look, you can construct whatever kind of narrative you want, nancy, that is one of the reasons you were great as a prosecutor. that is what i'm trying to explain, i think anderson's people have control of the mike tonight. that unfortunately, for you, there is still a jury there. it is not your studio audience that is going to be voting thumbs up or thumbs down. >> you know, that is completely irrelevant what you're saying. >> i know the jury -- >> can i just ask dr. drew a question, because this to me, we
10:39 pm
have been talking about sex and the salacious evidence. but to me, the most sinister evidence was today, and had nothing to do with sex. it was this woman in california filling up gas cans to go all the way to arizona and back so she wouldn't have to buy gasoline. no one could find that she had purchased gasoline in arizona. a degree of premeditation that i think not even the hardened hit men sometimes may think of, why o -- that is just astonishing to me that she had that sort of criminal mind or so it appeared. >> so it appears, and that is the level of disconnect and the level of rage. i have been interviewing some people who say she may have developed something called a borderline rage in somebody with psychopathic tendencies, you add all that up, she disavows the
10:40 pm
behavior. i showed images today, i thought it was so important for people to see it. >> when i saw his dead body slumped down in the shower. >> because, when we're teaching medical students, we have to show the specimen, there is an experimental component, what they're talking about is the brutality, and those that have more importance than anything in this case. >> he was left in the shower for several days, there was a 911 call from a friend who said i found him in the shower. >> anderson, i'll tell you what happened, and the prosecution has brought this out. she has a history. she gets a boyfriend. they immediately have sex very early on. they get very close, very serious, she believes she is wronged. either he cheats or he flirts or something, she breaks into his e-mail and races out for a confrontation. it has happened over and over
10:41 pm
and over. and this time, he was still sleeping with her, but was taking another woman, in the next couple of days to cancun, and she flipped out and murdered him. that is what happened. >> but again, the level of premeditation is extraordinary, dr. drew. >> extraordinary, i agree, but nancy is right, it is something that people categoryize as simple obsession, stalking, however, jerry pointed out the simple components, how she could lie with impunity. and lie, and what jodi does or doesn't do, and see the pictures. >> again if it is a psychopathic tendency, to see it laid bare hour after hour on the witness stand is an extraordinary thing and it continues more. we have to take a quick break, more with nancy and jeff toobin and dr. drew, and mark geragos.
10:42 pm
we'll be right back. [ watch ticking ] [ engine revs ] come in. ♪ got the coffee. that was fast. we're outta here. ♪ [ engine revs ] ♪ schwab bank was built with all the value and convenience tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 investors want. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 like no atm fees, worldwide. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 and no nuisance fees. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 plus deposit checks with mobile deposit. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 and manage your cash and investments tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 with schwab's mobile app. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 no wonder schwab bank has grown to over 70 billion in assets. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 so if you're looking for a bank that's in your corner, tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 not just on the corner... tdd#: 1-800-345-2550 call, click or visit to start banking with schwab bank today. tdd#: 1-800-345-2550
10:43 pm
nlove. as americans, we believed we can'tin freedom.person we that's what i fought for as a marine, and that's what we believe in as republicans. freedom means freedom for everyone. i didn't use to understand the importance of same-sex marriage, but after learning my brother was gay i wanted the same rights for him. he was the best man at my wedding and i want to be the best man at his. it's only fair that calvin should have the freedom to marry the person he loves, too. it's time for marriage. so, i'm working on a cistern intake valve, and the guy hands me a locknut wrench. no way! i'm like, what is this, a drainpipe slipknot? wherever your business takes you, nobody keeps you on the road like progressive commercial auto. [ flo speaking japanese ] [ shouting in japanese ] we work wherever you work. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
10:44 pm
coming up, more on the extraordinary lies that have emerged on the witness stand that jodi arias has told time and time again to authorities, more ahead. it has 7 antioxidants to support cell health. one a day men's 50+. [ male announcer ] from the way the bristles move to the way they clean, once you try an oral-b deep sweep power brush, you'll never go back to a regular manual brush. its three cleaning zones with dynamic power bristles reach between teeth with more brush movements to remove up to 100% more plaque than a regular manual brush. and even 76% more plaque than sonicare flexcare in hard to reach areas. oral-b deep sweep 5000 power brush. life opens up when you do.
10:45 pm
10:46 pm
jodi, why do you think that investigators will believe that you killed travis? >> well, there was a lot of forensics suggesting that i was, you know, in his house. of the evidence that they presented to me, i was asked the question if you were presented this evidence and you were a third party, what would you think? and you know, i need to be honest, and the evidence is very compelling. but none of it proves that i committed a murder. none of it proves that i committed a crime. what it does substantiate is what i did tell detectives.
10:47 pm
>> did you -- i have to ask you this, did you kill travis alexander? >> absolutely not, no, i had no part in it. >> so fascinating, to watch, when now we know, nancy, she is lying. and when somebody says i have to be honest, that raises red flags for me in an interview. >> like you're not the rest of the time. >> and just fascinating to watch. take a look, the woman on trial today looks a lot different from the one we talked about that dated travis alexander, gone is the makeup, the hair is changed. the glasses, what is the evidence that a defendant's looks can sway a jury? dr. drew, jean casarez, "in session" correspondent, what do you make of her appearance?
10:48 pm
she is transformed? >> sure, and they're portraying her as the victim. they dress her as the investigation. i also noticed in court that her chair is lower than her attorneys' chairs are, so she even looks more like the demure little person the defense wants her to be. and she has been that person, virtually today. >> that is an old trick that jeff toobin uses on me, when he sits next to me in the chair. >> but i hope i don't get convicted. >> but -- >> it is astonishing, maybe nancy has some experience like this. i have never seen a defendant testify for ten days. particularly for -- with 12 days now. and basically, nine or ten on direct. >> on direct, which is the most unbelievable. >> which is the most amazing thing of all. because direct testimony, particularly for defense witnesses tends to be pretty brief. but the judge, clearly, is just
10:49 pm
letting both sides go on as long as they want. and it didn't sound like they were going to finish tomorrow. and maybe jean -- >> it is interesting you would say that, jeff. because you know where they left off today. they left off at about 2:00, the day of the killing. that jury has got to be on the edge of their seats, because he was killed at about 5:30. and what is interesting is she had this digi-cam, a digital camera, and she is taking pictures of him in the shower, flexing his muscles, sexy pictures. and they're time-stamped, minutes after the photo it is accidentally a photo of her dragging his body to put him back in the shower, all happening in three minutes. >> i mean, dr. drew, let's talk about that. that is what is so crazy, i don't want to use that term. that is what is so bizarre about that, that she is taking photos minutes before a killing is about to take place. i mean, how do you process that?
10:50 pm
>> yeah, a normal person can't. that is why we can't look away. you know what is interesting, most psychopaths are male, so the fact this is a female already catches our attention. and then the extraordinary brutality and the cold-blooded nature of this, with the premeditation that we've all been talking about this evening is sort of what keeps us interested. because we literally can't believe it. a normal brain won't do that. >> just remind us, dr. drew, you talk about sociopath, the psychopaths, what is the different? >> sociopaths, they don't have feels, use people for their own ends, a psychopath has no empathy and takes responsibility for nothing. >> hey, that is interesting, randy when you're in the courtroom, i am interested to hear if you observed the same
10:51 pm
thing i did in the courtroom. you and jane. did she ever really change her affect in court? when she acts like she was taken aback by the prosecutor, she has the very same demeanor? it is all just a big charade? >> absolutely, she is trying to confuse the prosecutor, almost as if she is playing games with him. she never changes her face, always very solemn looking, almost shy, and when he goes after her, it just makes him look bad, that is why she is getting so much criticism. as you know, nancy, she is looking at the jury, answering to the jury first and then turns back to the prosecution. >> let me just jump in here and play devil's advocate. because is it fair to be judging how somebody is on the witness stand? i mean, everybody responds to grief and trauma in different ways. you think back to the case in
10:52 pm
australia, where the woman said her baby was eaten by a dingo, and nobody believed her, because of the way she appeared on the witness stand. nobody thought she was grieving enough, is it fair? >> it may or may not be fair. but we have a jury, and jurors respond as normal people do. and your affect on the stand matters a great deal. i can't say it is so terrible that she is going to get the death penalty. the weird sort of half smile is the thing that has struck me. but we all have a picture in our head of what the appropriate way to respond to a tragedy is. >> and we may be simply wrong. >> that has now been proven that a dingo did eat the baby. >> which is one of the reasons why the defense doesn't want to put their client on the stand. remember, you have somebody in custody, they're getting carted over to the jail at 4:00 in the
10:53 pm
morning. you have a prosecutor who knows the case inside out, slept in his own bed, he supposedly or she has control of the courtroom, you would always expect that it would be an uneven fight. and the jury instructions do generally tell you that the jurors are supposed to take into account their affect, the way they give testimony. so that is certainly in play. >> mark -- >> look, i think no matter how she acts in court, no matter how she acts in court, once these jurors see the crime scene fond photos, which is expected to happen tomorrow, and they think of her stabbing travis alexander in his chest, and then when he is up at the sink spitting up blood, and she is stabbing him nine times that is all they will remember.
10:54 pm
>> and again, she says she doesn't remember any of that, the stabbings, one after another, after another. we'll be right back after a quick break. [ male announcer ] usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve the military, veterans, and their families is without equal. begin your legacy. get an auto-insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve. ♪ [ male announcer ] every car we build must make adrenaline pump and pulses quicken. ♪ to help you not just to stay alive... but feel alive. the new c-class is no exception. it's a mercedes-benz through and through. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services.
10:55 pm
through mercedes-benz the people of bp made a commitment to the gulf., and every day since, we've worked hard to keep it. today, the beaches and gulf are open for everyone to enjoy. we've shared what we've learned, so we can all produce energy more safely. bp's also committed to america. we support nearly two-hundred-fifty thousand jobs
10:56 pm
and invest more here than anywhere else. we're working to fuel america for generations to come. our commitment has never been stronger. there's nothing like our grilled lobster and lobster tacos. the bar harbor bake is really worth trying. [ male announcer ] get more during red lobster's lobsterfest. with the year's largest selection of mouth-watering lobster entrees. like our delicious lobster lover's dream, featuring two kinds of succulent lobster tails. or our savory, new grilled maine lobster and lobster tacos.
10:57 pm
it's back, but not for long. [ woman ] our guests go crazy for lobsterfest. my favorite entree is the lobster lover's dream. what's yours? come celebrate lobsterfest and sea food differently. we don't let frequent heartburn come between us and what we love. so if you're one of them people who gets heartburn and then treats day after day... block the acid with prilosec otc and don't get heartburn in the first place! [ male announcer ] one pill each morning. 24 hours. zero heartburn. was the relationship ever violent? >> back with nancy grace now, nancy as you said, tomorrow, day 13 for this woman on the witness stand. and perhaps the most dramatic testimony yet, counting down to the minutes, the last minutes of
10:58 pm
travis alexander's life. >> yes, it will be, and of course, she has already stated she has no recollection of stabbing him and slicing his throat. but i really wish that everybody would try to reverse the roles, if a man had driven that far to kill a woman he had been stalking and terrorizing, this would be open and closed. people see arias, they are taken with her beauty, when i see her, i see a killer. >> thank you, nancy, an interesting perspective, everybody here at "ac360," have a great night, we'll see you tomorrow. helps defend against these digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. live the regular life. phillips'.
10:59 pm
impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex, global economy. it's just one reason over 75% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment information, risks, fees and expenses to read and consider carefully before investing. lookin' good, flo! feelin' good! feelin' real good! [ engine revs ] boat protection people love. now, that's progressive. call or click today.

415 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on